Index of Sections
Part A Election Procedures for Constitutional Office-Bearers
1. The procedure set out in this Schedule applies whenever
2. The person presiding at a meeting to which this Schedule applies must call for the nomination of candidates at the meeting.
3. (1) A nomination must be made on the form prescribed by the rules mentioned in item 9.
(2) The form on which a nomination is made must be signed
(3) A person who is nominated must indicate acceptance of the nomination by signing either the nomination form or any other form of written confirmation.
4. At a meeting to which this Schedule applies, the person presiding must announce the names of the persons who have been nominated as candidates, but may not permit any debate.
5. If only one candidate is nominated, the person presiding must declare that candidate elected.
6. If more than one candidate is nominated
7. (1) If no candidate receives a majority of the votes, the candidate who receives the lowest number of votes must be eliminated and a further vote taken on the remaining candidates in accordance with item 6. This procedure must be repeated until a candidate receives a majority of the votes.
(2) When applying subitem (1), if two or more candidates each have the lowest number of votes, a separate vote must be taken on those candidates, and repeated as often as may be necessary to determine which candidate is to be eliminated.
8. (1) If only two candidates are nominated, or if only two candidates remain after an elimination procedure has been applied, and those two candidates receive the same number of votes, a further meeting must be held within seven days, at a time determined by the person presiding.
(2) If a further meeting is held in terms of subitem (1), the procedure prescribed in this Schedule must be applied at that meeting as if it were the first meeting for the election in question.
9. (1) The President of the Constitutional Court must make rules
(2) These rules must be made known in the way that the President of the Constitutional Court determines.
Part B Formula to Determine Party Participation in Provincial Delegations to the National Council of Provinces
SOUTH AFRICAN WEB - ELECTIONS'99 Main Page